The Intouchables

Welcome to another episode of Lights....Camera....Popcorn!



Today's review is The Intouchables.



Written & Directed by Olivier Nakache & Eric Toledano

Review #173

MPAA Rating: R for language and some drug use.

Run Time: 112 min

Cast

François Cluzet ...Philippe

Omar Sy ...Driss

Anne Le Ny ...Yvonne

Audrey Fleurot ...Magalie

Clotilde Mollet ...Marcelle

Alba Gaïa Kraghede Bellugi ...Elisa

Cyril Mendy ...Adama

Christian Ameri ...Albert

Grégoire Oestermann ...Antoine


Over the 4 plus years I have been doing these reviews, I have developed a reputation as the dude that sees everything. That's only partly true. As much as I would like to actually see everything. I just can't. There's not enough time in the world for me. Another reputation I have developed is someone that only watches the big summer films or "comic book" movies. This is something I take serious offense to. Yes I enjoy the big fun films that we all love and at times it may seem that's all I go see. That being said I am a cinema fan first and foremost. I embrace every genre with the exception of horror. I enjoy the art house/Independent/Foreign films just as much as I do The Avengers.

To assume otherwise is foolish.

Rest assured I don't feel that way about any of you specifically. The person I speak of no longer gets these reviews. I don't need the support or lack there of of someone who feels my opinions don't matter because they don't mirror their own.

The point of this rant is to illustrate that although I may venture out and see the dumbest thing put on film. I will also give my brain a chance to recover and see something that goes way beyond just a trip to the movies. This is where YOU come in. As knowledgeable I may appear to you guys. And I do know my stuff. =). I'm not on top of every single film that's released every year. Every once in a while one of you, my beloved and most cherished fans will point me in the direction of a film that you feel I should see, review or would like. This was one of those times and I couldn't be happier that it happened.

If it hadn't I would have missed out on one of the BEST films of the year to date.

Plot

After he becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident, an aristocrat hires a young man from the projects to be his caretaker. 

There are several words I love to repeat in my reviews. Masterfully, narrative, tinseltown are just a couple. A word I rarely use is masterpiece. I reserve that for a film that touches me on levels that I don't normally experience or expect to experience.

The Intouchables is a bonafide MASTERPIECE!

This film takes you on a ride from the first frame and doesn't stop until you walk out of the theater. The best part about it is that despite the been there done that storyline, there's a freshness to it that gives it a punch. The biggest reason for that is that it's based on a true story. There are many liberties taken with some of the characters and their plot lines. That doesn't matter in the slightest because you buy in from minute one.

This is made possible by the performances of the main players. Philippe and Driss are a living yin yang. One man is filthy rich but can't feel anything below the neck. The other comes from a poor neighborhood. Tries to support his family by getting and staying on government assistance and is in top physical shape. I won't bother getting into the race dynamic between the two. The relationship between Philippe and Driss starts off in the way you would expect it to. Driss isn't there to get the job. He doesn't want the job but Philippe wants him to be his care taker. Now normally in a film like this, you would get the awkward tension and reluctance from Driss to do what is required of him. Or you would get the ornery bastard angle from Philippe. This is exactly what I expected.

I was wrong. Way wrong. The movie goes another way and it's succeeds.

Both men learn from each other's cultural differences and it creates a bond between them that only they see. Philippe doesn't care that Driss is black or from the "hood". All he cares about is that he can do the job while injecting some "life" into his lifeless body. Driss doesn't judge Philippe for being a cripple or insanely wealthy. He accepts his new job and new life while trying to maintain his family life on the outside. The personalities between the two would seem to clash on the surface but instead the writers give both men the freedom to accept who they are and embrace it. This is what makes this film shine. If you didn't know it, you would have thought these two were friends for 50 years.

Once again, this isn't possible without the performances of Omar Sy as Driss and François Cluzet as Philippe.

The Intouchables will get a lot of publicity thanks to Sy's work as Driss. Sy plays Driss with a strength that flows throughout every scene. From his eyes to his physical mannerisms. Sy nails it. This film will be known for Driss and his character but Cluzet's performance can not and should not be overlooked. Philippe is just as important to The Intouchables as Driss is. Not because he plays the quadriplegic that Driss has to care for but because he balances Driss out during the film. There's a serious culture clash between these men and each of them share a bit of that with the other. Philippe takes Driss to an art gallery to by a painting, Driss plays Earth, Wind and Fire for Philippe. Philippe take Driss to the opera, Driss teaches Philippe to be tougher on his disrespectful daughter. It's a wonderful give and take they have with each other that changes each man's life.

Philippe shows Driss that you can survive any situation life gives you no matter how dire it may seem. Driss shows Philippe it's OK to LIVE again.

JUST BRILLIANT!

All of this being said. The Intouchables isn't a perfect film. There were a couple of flaws but you know what....I DON'T CARE! This film was an experience that touched me on a level that very few films have.  I will remember this movie for a very long time. I'm so glad I was told about it and now it's my job to tell you to SEE THIS MOVIE!

On the 5 star scale. The Intouchables gets the full house 5 stars with a scream from the rooftops "Worth Every Penny!" recommendation.

Since this is not a big release you may have to do some searching for an art house or independent theater to catch this. Trust me....You will be glad you did.

That's a wrap for today. Up next is The Master.

Until Next Episode...."I'll Save You A Seat!"

"D"

No comments:

Post a Comment