The American

Welcome to another episode of The "D" List.

Today's review is The American. Directed by Anton Corbijn. Written by Rowan Joffe. Based on the novel A Very Private Gentleman. Written by Martin Booth.

100th review countdown.....#81

MPAA Rating: R for violence, sexual content and nudity.

Runtime: 105 mins

Cast

George Clooney - Jack / Edward

Irina Björklund - Ingrid

Johan Leysen - Pavel
   
Paolo Bonacelli - Father Benedetto

Thekla Reuten - Mathilde

Violante Placido - Clara


Since the inception of The "D" List, I have made a conscious effort not to allow the opinions of my very cherished and loyal fans influence me on whether or not I see a film. This past Sunday I had a conversation with my cousin and her husband about this film and they loathed it. I hadn't seen it yet so their very strong feelings toward this film just inspired me to see what the fuss was all about.

Well I have to respectfully disagree with my kin regarding the worth of this film.

Jack/Edward is a highly trained assassin who committed the cardinal sin for someone in his profession. He fell in love. We all know in cases like this, things never end well. After an attempt on his life is thwarted he contacts his handler Pavel looking for refuge. Jack holds up in a small town in Rome while his exit out of the country is being attended to. During the time in this small town, Jack is contracted to do a job, while he executes the job, he meets a local prostitute (Clara) that warms other parts of his anatomy than just the one we know prostitutes are notorious for warming. The events of said courtship send Jack's life out of balance creating a rather dangerous paradox.

On the surface, this film is cut and dry. For the most part, that is the case with one very big exception.
The American can be best described in two words.

Those words are Tense and Deliberate.

All throughout the film, Jack is constantly relying on his training, he surveys the lay of the land, scoping out accessible exits and getaway routes. He examines the daily habits of the neighboring population looking for possible troublemakers. Clearly he needs to be on high alert since he's supposed to be in hiding anyway but this is modus operandi day in and day out. A perfect example of this is when he's on a date with Clara. When they toast to the evening, he waits for Clara to drink her wine before sipping his. If that isn't the height of his training to always be on your guard no matter who you're with then I don't know what is.

This aspect of Jack's existence is executed masterfully. You really get the sense that this man needs to have eyes in the back of his head. He's calculated, cunning and detached. It's those attributes however, that also lend to his torment. Jack can't have a normal life, how can he. The man kills for money. It's a very unsavory and hostile world where a conventional life is impossible. The end result is a man constantly on the edge and on ultra high alert.

This is where the Tense part comes in.

Corbjin's use of the slow tracking shot produces a very subtle yet obvious anxiety. You never know what or who may come around the corner. This of course is aided by the beautiful italian architecture. The side streets and narrow alley ways lend themselves to very scary and intricate moments of hide and seek.

Speaking of beautiful and italian......I must say BRAVO! to the casting director for selecting two of the most exquisite females I have seen in a film set in Europe. A point of contention with my cousin about the women (Clara in particular) was her performance. In her opinion it was dreadful. I, on the other hand felt the opposite. Now by no means is this woman going to take away an Oscar for her work here but I felt that she played the part she needed to play. Meaning her character was a prostitute with no real ambition and maybe a little naivety. That came across to me very clearly.

Six one way, half dozen the other I guess.

Now there was something that I know cuz and I can both agree on and that's the performance of Mr. Clooney. This man is an actor's actor who defies you not to watch him. You can't do it. The guy just oozes cool. The power of his performance here comes through more via his facial expressions or lack there of at times than his actual dialogue. He and Denzel possess this ability in spades. There should definitely be a nomination in his future.

If I had to gripe about this film. Ironically, it would be concerning one of the elements that made it work. The film is so deliberate in nature and structure that it does give you a slight dragging impression. For a film that's only 105 minutes long, it doesn't play like one. Aside from that I have very little else to complain about minus some issues I had with the overall narrative that I will spare you all from.

On the 5 star scale. The American gets 4 stars. With a "Go See It!" recommendation.

That's all for today. Up next is The Town with possibly Machete mixed in between. I'm kind of on the fence with that one. I love Robert Rodriguez but I'm not into the grindhouse genre and this is one of those types of films. We'll have to wait and see.

Until Next Episode......."I'll Save You A Seat!"

"D"

No comments:

Post a Comment